Friday, July 27, 2012

Tools of the trade

Howdy y'all!

This post is a little different as I wanted to share some of the tools I use to create my caricatures. There aren't many, really, just a few basic items.
1. Pencil - I use the Pentel Twist Erase III. I have 3 of them, one in .05 mm and one in .07 mm, and one that is .09  mm lead. Naturally, I use the Pentel refill lead as well. Click below to learn more!



2. Paper - ok maybe I'm a dork, but I love this paper from Wal*Mart! It's called the Jumbo Floor Pad and it's just perfect for caricatures. The size is 16 x 22.

3. Markers - I use a variety of markers. My favorite is the Permapaque dual tipped marker from Sakura. I usually get these at Hobby Lobby or Blick Art. However, that's not all I use. I also use Sharpies and ZIG calligraphy markers. Of course, white-out pens help as well. You can make some cool effects with these.




4. Lastly, I use two types of watercolor markers for my color caricatures. Derwent and Prismacolor pencils.



So, yeah, that's about it. I take the pics w/ my Android phone (it's an LG Revolution) and then I post them here for you to look at. I also use Google tools, such as Blogger, Gmail, and Google+.

Any questions/comments? Let me know in the comments!


Unknown

Author & Editor

Jon Watkins has been drawing, painting, and generally making a mess since the early 70's.

Send Jon an email or text/call 937.622.8918

2 comments :

  1. Just stumbled onto your site here. All very good stuff. I do believe though that I will not be arming myself with these tools of the trade. In my hands, the results could not be called art in any language. Besides math and gym, art ranked as my least productive classes in school.

    Best to ya, Bro.Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries! Sometimes it's better for certain folks to NOT do some things! For example, me and physical activity just ain't pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete